The British Young Ladies Amateur Radio Association (BYLARA) was founded in April 1979 to further YL operating in Britain and so promote friendship, stimulate interest and, in particular, encourage good operating techniques and courtesy to all operators at all times.
BYLARA is affiliated to the RSGB and membership is open to all. Since its formation BYLARA has been instrumental in establishing several YL activities as follows:
- Get-togethers are organised at various Rallies throughout the country.
- A Newsletter is produced quarterly in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. All news and views will be welcomed by the Editor.
- The BYLARA Award and Scottish BYLARA Award are available for working BYLARA Members and other YLs. See the Awards section for details.
- Activity days 6th of every month. Call CQ YL on the hour on frequencies ending in 88.
- The BYLARA Reflector for members can be found on groups.io.
Who We Are
This is just a little bit of info about our Exec and our area reps, starting with:
Judith G4IAQ– Our Honorary President, Treasurer and Webmistress
I was licensed in April 1979 at the same time as my husband. I was given the call sign before his (I am G4IAQ and he is G4IAR) as an act of kindness. I was one of 8 people who started BYLARA at Drayton Manor Park, in the canteen. I was persuaded to become Treasurer by Rita Shepherd G3NOB. Rita was instrumental in encouraging me through the RAE and was one of the driving forces behind the group being formed.
Dave and I have two children, Rachel and Sarah. Rachel is in the final year of her Nursing Degree and Sarah is a fully qualified Personal Trainer and Chef. She uses her knowledge of exercise and food to help others.